1 The Backlog board of the project
After creating a project, a
Backlog board is automatically generated with the name of the project.
The Backlog is a list of everything that is known to be done or need in a project. A Backlog is never complete as the project and environment evolve. It constantly changes to identify what the project needs to be appropriate, competitive, and useful. If a project exists, its Backlog also exists. The Backlog is used to describe the upcoming work on the project.
All members who are part of a project board can view and access the backlog board. Remember that the Backlog list is always shared with all the boards in the project. Here you could receive e-mail message sent to the project in the form of a card.
2 How to create a board
The boards can only exist within a project. You can assign more than one board to each project. Use more than one board if the tasks to be assigned are independent and require different teams or users.
- Access the desired project.
- Click on the Create board option. A wizard on the screen will guide you to create the new board: follow the given instructions. Keep in mind that only the name of the board is mandatory.
Remember that while you remain in the wizard you will have the options back (return to the previous screen) or cancel (which will stop the creation process) available.
STEP 1: Name your board
- Name: use a name that defines the work to be performed. You cannot change it after created.
Set start date: indicate participants/team when work should start, regardless of the board creation date.
IMPORTANTIf the start date is reported, it is mandatory to report the end date also. Otherwise the board will not be created.
- Set end date: usually works require strict deadlines. Enter the expected completion date so that participants or the entire team are aware.
- Budget hours: indicate the budgeted hours to avoid deviations from the original approach.
- Description: enter an optional description for the board.
- Select a team: if you are clear about the participants in this work and the team already exists, select it from the options shown in the dropdown menu.
- Press the NEXT button.
STEP 2: Customize your work
- Select a background: you can customize your board by changing the background. Choose from thirty-five different background colors or one picture from an extensive photo gallery. Once you have customized the background, all other users who share it will see that same background.
- Press the NEXT button.
STEP 3: Choose a template
Select a template: a board template allows you to copy a master board to create boards based on the same content and organization.
It is the perfect way to replicate a process or workflow. Currently, there are three types of templates:
- Kanban: an issue-tracking project preconfigured to apply the Kanban method.
- Scrum: an issue project preconfigured to apply the Scrum method.
- Backlog: a standard-issue tracking project.
- Press the CREATE button. The new board has been created based on the selected template and background.
- Select a template: a board template allows you to copy a master board to create boards based on the same content and organization. It is the perfect way to replicate a process or workflow. Currently, there are three types of templates:
The page may need to be reloaded to view the new dashboard on the project.
From now on you can start adding lists to the board just by clicking on the + Add a list button. See the Lists section for further information.
3 Accesing the user's boards
It is possible to access a board from:
- The list of boards of the user, by clicking on the board icon on the left side.
- Selecting one board from a selected project. From this option, it is also possible to create a new board or to archive, restore or delete an existing one.
To archive one board, click on the archive icon.
At a later point, it will be possible to r estore archived boards. For this purpose, click on the View archived boards option: it allows access to the list of archived boards. Select the ↻ Unarchive button to restore it. The unarchive option is only available for a limited period of time. On the contrary, if you click on the - DELETE button, the board will be permanently deleted. This option is irreversible.
4 The board options
This section specifies all the possibilities and options that board offers.
4.1 The board top menu
It displays the name of the current board. Choose an option from the drop-down menu to display another board among boards of the same project. The option View unarchive boards: allows access to the list of archived boards, and it is also possible to restore them by clicking on the ↻ Unarchive board button. The unarchive option is only available for a limited period of time. On the contrary, if you click on the - DELETE button, the file will be permanently deleted. This option is irreversible.
Click on the board menu and it will expand or collapse the lists. When it is compressed, only the name of the list can be seen, while expanded it also shows the cards.
When the board has not been assigned to any team, it will display Personal in this field. If a team had been previously assigned, this field will display the team name.
By pressing this option it is possible:
- assign a team to a project
- change a team assigned to a project
- see the members of an existing team
Users can be added to the board, no matter to which team they belong. Click on the Invite button and select a user/s from the dropdown menu. The board will display the image or the name initials of those members invited to the board. They will be informed via e-mail that they have been invited to join the board.
Customize certain items of the cards to be shown/hidden. These items are Reference, Description, Labels, Checklist, Type, Dates, Effort, Notify and Members.
The board offers up to 6 display modes:
Kanban: normal view, visualize and manage the flow of cards from start to finish.
Sheet: it shows cards in a list report. Cards as rows with fields as columns on a spreadsheet.
This display mode provides specific information of each card and global information of the board about the assigned time and the real time controlled by the timer.
Timeline: see and manage card start and dates on a timeline.
Timesheet: see your board timesheet.
Charts: see the relationship between cards and their completion.
- Sprint (olny for scrum boards): visualize the panels done in the previous sprints.
- Kanban: normal view, visualize and manage the flow of cards from start to finish.
Shows the degree of completion of tasks through time indicators: budget, target, real and Done.
- Budget: indicates the hours budgeted for the board completing.
- Target: indicates the total sum of the hours assigned to each card.
- Real: indicates the total sum of the hours controlled by the timer.
- Done: indicates from those cards marked as done, how many hours they were assigned.
- Show Menu. Displays the board right menu (see the following section).
New Sprint. (only Scrum boards)
As defined by the Scrum Guide, Sprint is the heart of Scrum, a maximum time interval of one month, which begins with the Planning sprint and ends with the Retrospective sprint. It allows you to define the scrum time interval.
Start Sprint. (only Scrum boards)
After the sprint time interval has been defined, press the Start Sprint button to Start Sprint counter.
4.2 The board right menu
The menu on the right has new options related to the board. These options are:
About this board: contains basic information about the board, most of it editable: the user who created it, board name, description,
customer (if the project has no customer assigned), and Activity. It includes new options such as:
- Billable: mark tasks as billable. All cards created on this board will then be offered as billables, but this option can be individually modified on each card.
- Watch: keep the board under surveillance and receive emails when there is a change across it.
- Board clock: assigned budget hours to the board.
- Lock/Unlock board: when a board is locked, most options are locked. Prevents, for example, adding or moving cards or inviting new members.
- Archive board: the finished boards can be archived to stop viewing them among those in progress. This option can only be done by the owner.
- Transfer board: allows transferring a board to another project.
- Change background: modify the board background by changing the color or image.
- Search cards: type to search by term or filter by unseen, label, member, priority, type or due time.
- Labels: search, create new labels or edit existing ones.
Archived items: remember that both cards and lists can be archived once they are not needed.
But there is the possibility of reintegrating them into the dashboard using this option.
Use Switch to card/list button to show archived card/list respectively.
- Sent to board: the card or list will be reinstated in its last location on the board.
- Delete: the card or list will be permanently deleted.
Print and Export: use this option to convert your board information into another format. Select between displayed options.
- Print: use your printer or a pdf format.
- Export as JSON: it is a simple text format for data exchange.
- Export as Excel: board data is exported to the Microsoft Excel spreadsheet format.