Cardscorrespond to an activity or task. Tasks take on the appearance of a card in a list and the
Issuesare those cards that you have been assigned and are still pending. The card has to be created, detailed and classified so that you or your team knows exactly what to do, who, why, how and when.
1 How to create a card
There are several ways to create cards:
- The most usual way is to create it within a list. Procedure:
- Access the desired board.
- Click on + Add card button, located in the desired list.
- Enter the name of the card (short description) and click on the Save button. The new card has been created.
- From the
Issue menu. Procedure:
- Access the Issue menu
- Clik on Create issue button.
- Fill in, as a minimum, the mandatory fields: project, board and summary. The assignee/s are the member/s of the board responsible for the card completion. You will continue to see this card on the Issues screen solely if you assign this card to yourself.
- Sendding a message to a project: all messages sent by e-mail to the project account will automatically create a card on the specified list. These cards are called tickets. You can access tickets through the menu option My tickets or though the list assigned to the project account.
1.1 Editing the card
The more detailed the card, the easier it will be to understand and carry it out in the time required. With this purpose, use the card editor, by clicking once straight on a card.
- Name: click on the name and it can be modified.
Priority: select among the following options, considering they are ordered from least to most urgent.
Type: select among the following options.
- Task: activity
- Bug: correcting faults
- Epic: contains specifications and acceptance criteria for functions
- User story: it is a message from the user, stating what his goal is for.
- Start date: set the start date when the task should start. Use Save button to save the date selected in the calendar. Use Remove to delete it.
End date: set the deadline to complete the task. Use Save button to save the date selected in the calendar. Use Remove to delete it.
MARK A TASK AS COMPLETED
When the task is complete, check the box next to the end date. The system considers the task as completed, regardless of which list it is on.
- Set reminder: both the start date and the end date have the possibility of setting a reminder. Reminders will be sent to all members and watchers of this card. The reminder period can be selected from the predefined ones: at due date; 5, 10, 15 minutes before; 1, 2, hours before; 1, 2 Days before.
Timer: start/stop the timer for taking account of the time spent on this task, or define the time used by adding 5 or 15 minutes to the task until reaching the total time.
You can have only one active timer at the same time: as soon as you activate the timer in a new card, the last card will automatically stop its timer.
Don't forget to stop the timer when you stop working on a task. You can also see how the time passes from the main screens, on the top menu: click on it and you can start or stop the card timer you are working on. This new timer can also take you to the active card by clicking on the link icon.The Today's log option will display all the cards where you have been working within today.
From the Users screen it is also possible to see who has their timer active.
- Description: in this field, you can add more specific information about your card, step-by-step instructions, attach links. Anything that will help to complete the task effectively.
- Activity: comments can be added to cards to communicate, remember or share with team members important information. Furthermore, all activities that take place on a card are automatically registered. To see them, press the Show details button.
1.1.1 Add to card menu
On the top right side of the card there is the
Add to card menu, where you can:
- Members: add members from the team to the card, those directly related to the fulfillment of the card task.
- Labels: create and assign labels to categorize cards. Use colors and description to show up cards in the board. You can also use the labels as search criteria, to filter cards.
Effort: an effort is the estimated number of hours for a task and the level of difficulty. It is essential to allocate resources effectively.
Each task can have a specific duration of days but an effort estimate of several hours.
Difficulty assesses complexity, risk, and a level of uncertainty based on skill and knowledge, so effort difficulty is not equivalent to time.
- Effort time hours: hours planned to perform the task.
- Effort difficulty: measure in point to feature difficulty or complexity. Select among existing options: 0, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89.
- Cost: add economic value to the card in euros €.
Timesheet: every time the timer is turned on/off on this card, the timesheet will record the activity.
These activities recorded on the card can also be viewed on the
Timesheet screen. You can also add a planned service activity in your timesheet from your card.
These service activities can be marked as billable or not, regardless of whether or not the board has been marked as billable.
This service will be displayed in the
Timesheet visualization mode or in your Timesheet calendar flow since it requires detailing the date, time and duration.
From the Timesheet calendar flow, you can also Edit or Delete the service activities. Access the card where the service activity was created by clicking on the Access icon.
formoption allows you to create a form inside the cards. This form will be repeated in all board cards, but the data entered is specific for each card. Only those board members who have permissions can create a form in a card: the owner and the administrators of the board.
You can add by clicking on the insert icon:
- Stars rating: stars are used by members for ranking this card.
- Checkbox: displays a checkbox that allows the members to select the true or false condition you prefer.
- Percentage bar: used to visualize the progression of an operation. It could be completion, ...
- Text: it enables a text field where members can add a piece of specific information.
- Numbers: it enables a number field. It can represent euros, dollars, % or a customized value. Select also between left or right placement. Furthermore, entries of this field can be included in the Sheet mode as a sum, average, minimum, maximum of all cards entries. In the example below, two number fields have been implemented: dollars as a sum, and euros as an average. The sheet mode will display the results following these characteristics.
- Date: it enables a date field, which allows the user to select a date from a calendar.
Attachments: you can attach any kind of file to complement the information of your card. Click on the attached file thumbnail to unload it. Press
Delete to remove it or press
Edit to modify the file name.
Card cover imageYou can select one of the attached images as a cover for your card, as well as delete it afterwards.
Checklists: add checklist to the card, usually when a card requires several steps to complete it. This way task can be broken down into mini-tasks without creating new cards.
However, it is also possible to convert checklist points into new tasks. The percentage bar corresponds to the items marked (completed).
- Hide completed items: marked items will be hidden from the checklist.
- Delete: delete the entire checklist.
- Add an item: press to add a new item to the checklist.
- Set a Due date to each item.
Item actions: click on the menu button which appears on the right side of the item.
- Convert to card: this process will turn the item to a card of the same list.
- Delete: to delete the item, click the Delete button.
Customers: you can define a customer for this card, if board or project has no customer assigned.
This customer must have been previously defined in the Customer's repository. For further information see the Customers' section.
1.1.2 Action menus
On the bottom right side of the card there is the Actions option, where you can:
- Move: move this card to another board you belong to.
- Copy: copy this card to another board you belong to.
- Watch: mark this card under surveillance and receive emails when there is a change across it.
- Vote: use votes to prioritize cards based on voting data.
- Export: export the card to a FOP/PDF file. Select the options to be included in this exportation.
Archive: when a card is archived, it disappears from the board.
Restore an archived card
It is possible to retrieve an already archived card.
- Display the board right menu option.
- Select the Archived Items option.
- Choose the card you want to retrieve and press Send to Board.
The restore option is only available for a limited period of time.
1.1.3 The abbreviated menu
The cards have an abbreviated menu accessible from the board. Click on the edit icone of the desired card. The abbreviated menu offers the following options:
- Assign Members
- Add labels
- Move the card
- Archive (and delete)
- Save modifications on card
1.2 Moving a card
Usually, each list represents a phase of the process or a required step to achieve. When a card has overcome that phase, it is time to move it to the next list. For this purpose, select that card and, using the drag and drop method, move it to the next phase.
2 The Issues
The fastest way to access the cards assigned to you is through the Issues screen. This way it is not necessary to look them up on the multiple boards where they may be distributed.
On this screen, issues behave the same and have the same options as when working from a board.
2.1 Creating an Issue
You can create a card or and issue from this screen. Procedure:
- Access the Issue menu
- Click on Create issue button.
- Fill in, as a minimum, the mandatory fields: project, board and summary.
- To create a card: do not assing this cart to any member or assign it to a member different from you. Once created, you will not see it anymore on the issue screen since it is not an issue.
- To create an issue: assign this card to yourself. You can see this card on the issue screen until it is completed.
2.2 Accessing the board of the Issue
If you want to access the board where one of your issues is located, click on the board logo located above the name of each issue, in the shortcuts on the left.