Axional Studio HTML Pages is a set of tools that allows creating HTML pages right from the beginning,
without the limitations of style and functionalities of the
Axional Studio Objects,
but with the possibility of accessing and modifying information of system databases.
1.1 What is it?
Axional Studio HTML Pages is a server scripting implementation for making dynamic and interactive Web pages.
Let's see an example of a simple HTML Page:
<xsql-script name='sample_1'> <body> <return> <![CDATA[ <!DOCTYPE HTML> <html> <body> Hi, I'm a Axional Studio HTML Page! </body> </html> ]]> </return> </body> </xsql-script>
Instead of lots of programming code, complex libraries and settings to output an HTML (as seen in JSP or Java),
Axional Studio HTML Pages take advantage of the power
and simplicity of
XSQL Script for embedding the output HTML.
The client would receive the results of running that
XSQL Script, but would not know what the underlying code was.
The best thing of
Axional Studio HTML Pages is that is very simple for a newcomer, but offers many advanced features for an advanced programmer.
1.2 What can I do?
Axional Studio HTML Pages are mainly focused on the generation of HTML for presenting database information with a custom design, created ad hoc for those situations that
Axional Studio Objects are too much restrictive.
- Create highly user friendly applications for users not familiarized with
Axional Studio. Such us polls, news reader, etc.
- Create awesome graphical applications for the board of directors. Such us interactive data visualizations, dashboards, etc.
- Create complex web applications. Such us e-commerce, 3D graphics, etc.
1.3 What do I need?
In first place,
Axional Studio HTML Pages requires the basic Axional Studio infrastructure, which includes:
Axional Studio Server, properly set up.
- Dictionary database
- A target database
In second place,
Axional Studio HTML Pages definition involves some other technologies which is supposed to be kwon by programmer before start developing
Axional Studio HTML Pages:
XSQL Scriptenables database connection and server-side programming for getting and manipulating information from the source DBMS.
Apache FreeMarker( FTL) is a template engine to generate output HTML.
Hypertext Markup Language( HTML) is the standard markup language for creating web pages.
Cascading Style Sheets( CSS) is a style sheet language used for describing the presentation of an HTML document.
2.1 Architecture pattern
Axional Studio HTML Pages uses a Model View Controller (MVC) pattern. The objective of this pattern is to uncoupling the graphical interface from the rest of the system. In order to achieve this, the application is split in
- Model: encapsulates the state of the system and implements the business logic. It is represented by the target database definition and the stored procedures.
- Views: display the information to the user and collect information from it to send it to the controllers. It is basically represented by the FTL Templates (wic_freemarker_templates) and resources (wic_clob_resources, wic_blob_resources).
- Controller: handles the connection between user actions and system events and decide which views are shown to the user. It is mainly represented by XSQL Pages (wic_html_pages) and other dictionary stuff (XSQL Scripts, Application menu, Roles, ...).
2.2 Enviroment map
The following conceptual map tries to show the relations between all the actors involved in XSQL Pages, from the definition to the final use. The actors include the people, machines, entities and technologies involved.